Why a Gadfly?

A Gadfly is any large variety of fly that bites and annoys livestock. The term is used to describe people who upset the status quo by posing provocative or irritating questions. In politics, a gadfly describes someone who persistently challenges those in positions of power, the status quo, or popular opinion. The word is often spoken pejorativley, referring to someone who complains just to complain.

For those demanding social justice, a gadfly's buzz signifies honorable work and civic duty. Its drone is the proverbial 'squeaky wheel' or 'bug in the ear' of the complacent, that makes us wake up and take notice. Welcome to the blog, and feel free to make noise.

Monday, September 13, 2010

The Optimal Way...

Last week I learned that counties, rather than cities, are responsible for homeless services—but who would I contact, if I needed shelter?

I first call the county's general information number, asking for details on “homelessness services” and “emergency shelters.” I am transferred to a Housing Authority recording which lists 13 options. The only one that relates is: HUMAN RESOURCES/HOMELESS PREVENTION lumped together.

I press this option and get the voice mail of a Homeless Prevention counselor who says, “Leave a message and “I’ll get back to you.” That was 7 days ago. No call-back yet. But what if I don’t have a phone? Do most homeless own phones? IS THIS THE OPTIMALY WAY to serve the homeless?

Next, I try the county’s webpage (feasibly, a homeless person might use the Internet at a public library, no?). I type in the key words “homeless” and “emergency shelter.”

The first two listings under Homeless Prevention and Homeless Prevention Related Services—are for grants for large organizations. No help for individuals.

The third listing says, “Resources for the Homeless,” and I’m rewarded with a list of eight non-profit organizations that operate temporary or emergency shelters in the county. Bingo! Yet, I suspect that many of these shelters are full with long waiting lists. At least this is a start.

The search left me noting the power of the Internet, and the disadvantage of those who can’t access it. Information is a commodity. Without phones and computers, we are handicapped. Older people without typing or computer skills might miss out completely. Younger people with computer ability may not have access. There must be a better way to inform residents of homeless services.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!